I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Art of Compassionate Surrender

From the Idiosyncradeck, the Hanged Man; from the Mixed Emotions deck, 'Compassionate:'
          I still laugh when I see Bott's use of the sloth for the Hanged Man; it reminds me of the sloth-run DMV from Zootopia. However, I can absolutely relate to that frustrated bunny in the movie - it's hard to be patient when your hands are tied and it feels like you're standing in a bed of fire ants with a nest of bees in your chest. I find it nearly impossible to sit on a cushion and meditate during such times, so I generally do some sort of movement exercise (walking, yoga, etc.) with a mantra or short phrase. This can unhook my mind from what I crave (wanting or not wanting). It's amazing that the key to turning the volume down on that infuriating sense of helplessness lies in simply changing the channel in my mind. Once calm, I can see with clarity what I can effectively do in the situation and what I'm just going to have to let be. The Compassionate card is a nice reminder to be supportive, gentle and kind, instead of falling into the traps of self-pity or self-indulgence. If I can sit with my own pain without trying to push it away or escalate it with projections, I will be better able to sit with the pain of others without trying to 'fix' them as well.

6 comments:

  1. beautiful post. One of the benefits of yoga is each pose has its opposite. And the backward bends always feel so good, I forget hunching over isn't natural ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to remember when I'm gardening to stand up and bend backwards every now and then. It seems counterproductive until you do it - then (as you said) it feels so good. :)

      Delete
  2. Sloths and birds, both of which belong in Nature's hands, tree limbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a lot of other things I'd do well to leave to nature's flow too. :)

      Delete
  3. It's too bad she won't reprint the Idiosyncradeck. That Mixed Emotions deck looks very interesting and I like the large number of cards included. I love the decks you use together.

    Good point abut doing some sort of movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that it was out-of-print until someone told me. I guess that's the drawback of Etsy decks. The Mixed Emotions deck was bought to use with my group, but I thought I'd see how it did with tarot. :)

      Delete