I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, February 2, 2018

Aging with Grace

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Ten of Disks; from Transforming Dragons, 'Tilibruc:'


My world may be smaller. My soul is not.
          This Crone's body is shrunken with age, yet the passion in her mind and heart have only grown larger. I feel pain now when I get up every morning; I know that growing older is not something from which I can hide. But I've cultivated friendships with older women, and they've graciously shared their wisdom in walking this road. First, my face may get more wrinkled, but it isn't required of my heart. I can continue to search out the small joys of each day. I can encourage others and show them compassion when they struggle. Second, while my body can't do the physical tasks it once could, my mind and the creativity it holds is still hanging in there. No sense wasting precious resources. The dragon Tilibruc is like one of those people who always say, "Put a rush on that!" There is no sitting still as he is always ready to finish one task and get on with the next. I doubt he gets any joy from the 'doing' part, and probably pays little attention to the end result. I'd guess there are fears he is trying (unsuccessfully) to outrun. I want to ask him to sit still, look back and consider whether all his busyness actually fills up the emptiness in his heart. Regardless of what I've accomplished, a full heart will tell me that it's been a good day. 

7 comments:

  1. #1 advice of our elders? Don't get old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our youth centric culture learning to grow old gracefully is such a vital lesson to learn. The earlier the better. Life is increasingly full of loss especially as we get older. But this doesn't need to be without wisdom and that's were we gain and find the spiritual gifts and treasures. I think I have wisdom wrinkles. Not sure what my sagging boobs represent...gravity I guess! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The body may sag, but that doesn't prevent us from rising by lifting others up.😊

      Delete
    2. Oh good one Bev! I'll write that one down so I won't forget! :)

      Delete
  3. There are days when I look in the mirror and think 'what the heck happened?' Life. Better to make it to the wrinkled stage than not. Life is worth living.

    ReplyDelete