I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Separating Myself

This week I'll be using the Sun and Moon Tarot, created by Vanessa Decort and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be drawing from the Wisdom Keepers Oracle, created by Rosy Aronson and published by Seal Pup Press. Today's draws are the Prince (Knight) of Pentacles and 'Discrimination:'
          The Prince/Knight of Pentacles likes to do things in a slow, orderly fashion. Grounded as the bull that pulls his wagon, he is an industrious worker with an eye for details. He thinks long and hard before acting, but once he chooses, he plods (some say stubbornly) toward his objective. Whatever the project, he won't take risks and will be persistent in seeing it through to completion. Yet there can be a downside to being such an observer of details, especially when it is applied to people. There are two definitions for discrimination: recognition of differences and prejudicial treatment because of differences. While the first definition helps us survive and get through life, the second causes hatred, injustice and a feeling of separation. This Wisdom Keeper asks the question, "How does your inner elitist express itself?" The most basic discrimination is based on gender, sexual preference, race, religion or socioeconomics. But there is a more subtle form that is often overlooked. I may think of myself as more spiritually evolved or knowledgeable than another person. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I may feel special because I have done crazy, insane things. Or, I may think I'm unique because (as the song goes) "nobody knows the trouble I've seen, nobody knows my sorrow." Such views only serve to alienate me from those to whom I belong, diverse though they are.
Our habitual way of categorizing people as friends, enemies, and strangers depending on how they make us feel is both incorrect and a great obstacle to developing impartial love for all living beings. Rather than holding so tightly to our discriminations of the external world, it would be much more beneficial if we learned to discriminate between valuable and worthless states of mind .                ― Geshe Kelsang Gyatso


2 comments:

  1. Just about the time I think I have a bit more of everything figured out, I realize that I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said on your blog the other day, I'll never know all there is worth knowing. :)

      Delete