I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Butting Heads

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the Emperor; from the I Ching Pack, 'Lake over Wood:'
          Looking at the Emperor's throne, I'm reminded of the slogan for Dodge trucks: "Built Ram Tough." I'm sure he's done a lot of fighting and butted a lot of heads to take that seat, but he'd rather not make it an ongoing thing. Which is why he is big on rules and responsibilities - when there's order and direction, there's less conflict. Except when those boundaries and laws are inequitable and biased. In the words of Honore de Balzac, "Laws are spider webs through which the big flies pass and the little ones get caught." Hexagram 28 shows a lake overflowing its banks, and with the mounting pressure, there is the threat of a dam breaking. I am reminded of the 2017 Women's March on Washington, the Black Lives Matter movement and the spread of #MeToo through social media. Society operates smoothly only when the rights of all are equally important. When that doesn't happen, the pressure will build and the dam will break.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
~ John F. Kennedy

6 comments:

  1. The I Ching card could pass as The Fool in most tarot decks. The two cards make me think of choices; what Society expects of you and what you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does resemble the Fool card. :) It makes me think of what is expected versus what is right and honorable.

      Delete
  2. I hope the dam breaks too. Yet I fear there are plenty of ‘medium sized flies’ who pretend to care about progress but are secretly quite happy with current inequities from which they benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With our current administration, I dread to open up my web browser every morning. But you are right about the medium-sized flies who gloat (but that spider will eat them too, one day).

      Delete