I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 6, 2017

To Bring Back

From the Spirit Within Tarot, the Ace of Cups; from the Answer Deck, 'Anxiety:'
It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living. – F. Scott Fitzgerald
          There is something special about meeting someone and feeling an instant connection that tells you, "Yes, this could be the beginning of a great friendship." At first it may seem to be based on shared ideas, hobbies or experiences, but usually there is something deeper that tugs at the heart. For me, it is a feeling of being at ease, knowing I only have to be myself (and allow the other person to do the same). Of course the initial meeting is really the easiest part. The Anxiety card represents what the care and keeping of a relationship in the long term can bring up. No matter how much people enjoy each other's company, differences will arise. How they are handled can sink or keep the relationship afloat. The Latin root of the word 'relate' means 'to bring back.' What is it that I bring back? I bring back openness and honesty, forgiveness and kindness, encouragement and compassion.

13 comments:

  1. thought provoking. Someone left a post on my blog this week saying their friends were computer friends rather than having local friends. I can believe that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It is hard for me to make new friends and due to all kind of circumstances people I thought were my friends left me to fend for myself during my dark years, Now I am hesitant to trust again because I am afraid to be left alone again. I am grateful my relationship with my daughters and my brothers is good. With them I don't have to pretend. I am loved for who I am. I hope some day I will be able to make new local friends but for now I am happy the way it is.

      Delete
    2. Relationships are hard work, and it takes both sides to be willing to do the work. I'm too old to put time and effort into a friendship that is one-sided. It doesn't mean I can't associate or be kind to other folks, but that intimate quality of friendship requires a level of trust.

      Delete
    3. Ellen I understand what you are saying. One thing I've learned humans let humans down, but we all need to have relationships. My mother used to say if you have in your life a few true friends you are blessed. I'm certainly like Bev. I have no time for those who seem to only want a one sided relationship. At the same time I know we all make mistakes in our friend ships and people can and do change, but it really has to work for both people.

      Delete
  2. I must confess I can't not relate to these or any cards that have so many shades of black and darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the silhouettes are supposed to make the deck more inclusive. By seeing only the profile, we can make them any race, etc.

      Delete
  3. Bev great post. I love the study of words and their root meanings. I never knew this is what relate meant. My favourite has always been the Latin root word of humanity, humour and human...humus...not to be confused with the chick pea mess but is worm poo! This I learned from the book The Spirituality of Imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing the roots of words can give us another way of looking at them, can't they? Love the one for humanity! :D

      Delete
    2. Absolutely Bev! And language takes on a whole new, and deeper meaning.

      Delete
  4. If you haven't already read The Spirituality of Imperfection Bev, I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think with the Ace that when you feel anxiety, you can reach for a better feeling.

    ReplyDelete