I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, November 10, 2017

Mix It Up

From the Spirit Within Tarot, Temperance; from the Answer Deck, 'Journey:'
          A disc jockey stands in front of an audio mixer that allows him to combine music in various ways: seamless segues, 'scratching,' and harmonic mixing. In some cases there is an equal mix and in some cases there isn't, but the result is always different than the original two options. While Temperance often suggests a moderation in our behavior, I was reminded by a quote from Mark Twain that it also can point at our thinking. Twain wrote, " It is discouraging to try to penetrate a mind like yours. You ought to get it out and dance on it. That would take some of the rigidity out of it." Indeed, dance out those sticky cobwebs that make everything look black or white and set in stone. The Journey card reminds me that my life should not be simply compartmentalized in beginnings and endings, successes and failures. The 'doing' is more important that the outcome (to borrow a phrase from Arthur Ashe). As I travel along this road, do I pay attention to someone other than myself? Do I smile, offer kindness and look for beauty? Can I enjoy my trip around the sun and let humor soften the hard places? Mix it up, this young fellow tells me.

6 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous Temperance, isn't it? And I love what you say about life's journey. Mark Twain came up with a remarkable number of excellent metaphors :D
    I've been paying attention to myself today, but in a way that also makes me think about how I influence others - thinking about my childhood, and about how I am as a mother now to my own children. Like that Temperance DJ, we can play our own record and that of the others' in our lives, at the same time, noting how there are melodies that meet and meld, or clash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twain was a wordsmith of high caliber. :D
      I think if we only play our own albums, we'll miss out on a lot of good music! ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this rendition of Temperance so much. Not moderate at all but more about taking the best of both and create something magical with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This card is one of several that really made me want this deck. :D

      Delete
  3. Music with a good beat is great for getting up and getting going, be it dancing or house work. Movin' and Groovin'

    ReplyDelete