I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Can I Change?

From the Gill Tarot, the Seven of Disks; from The Circle, Origin:
          Gill writes in her lwb that "delay is always instructive." Delay pushes a pause button that I likely would not have pressed, giving me an opportunity to look more closely at the situation and myself. My frustration may point out my lack of commitment and that my persistence is slipping. My impatience could show how I live in the future rather than focus on what is in front of me. When my mind is elsewhere, I'm likely to miss crucial details that will make a difference later. The Circle's booklet states the Origin card reflects discovering the source of something: "Your past plays a significant role in your day-to-day life." While I was at my mom's last weekend, she gave me a copy of her ancestral DNA breakdown (via Ancestry.com) since it would represent half of my own. The results were: Great Britain 28% (Scotland & England likely), Western Europe 26% (Germany likely), Ireland 20%, Scandinavia 16% (Holland likely), Italy/Greece 7%, Iberian Peninsula 2%, and Eastern Europe 1%. In a study of twins reared apart, it was found that more than half of personality traits were due to genetics. Does this mean I can't change my characteristics like impatience? Only if I'm not willing to make the effort.
 Saying "I can't help myself" may not be a valid excuse after all.
~ Romeo Vitelli

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes hitting the pause button is a good thing.
    Are we the sum of our parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our parts make us who we are, but I also think we can change some of those parts. :)

      Delete
  2. I believe that due to our DNA we are perhaps more likely to develop inherited traits but never forget the influence of our community and our soul or spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading an article that said three things can help us change: age, new experiences, and a willingness to make an effort. :)

      Delete