I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Stalemates and Possibilities

This week I'll be using the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, created by Granny Jones and published by Kangaroo Press. Along with it, I'll be drawing from the Button Oracle, a set I made myself from a collection of buttons. Today's draws are the Two of Swords and Lizard:
          Uh oh... Instead of having a nice afternoon over tea, it looks like these two friends ended up butting heads over some issue. Each obviously held a firm opinion which led to the discussion going nowhere, because neither was willing to consider another perspective. It's a hard day when a friendship is tossed because of a point of view. The Lizard Button represents communication, because these reptiles rely heavily on body language and color to define territory, resolve disputes, and entice mates. The quote that goes with this button is by George Bernard Shaw:
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. 
Trying to convince another person to accept your viewpoint is debate, not discussion. Discussion seems to be a form of communication that is no longer in style (especially judging by what gets put on Facebook). Both the card and button reminded me of something I read by Krista Tippett in her book Becoming Wise:
I can disagree with your opinion, it turns out, but I can’t disagree with your experience. And once I have a sense of your experience, you and I are in relationship, acknowledging the complexity in each other’s position, listening less guardedly. The difference in our opinions will probably remain intact, but it no longer defines what is possible between us.
When we share our stories (instead of just opinions), we begin to see how life has shaped each of us. And once we see each other as simply human (not good/bad, right/wrong), it is possible to relate openly with each other.

2 comments:

  1. with today's technology and not actually speaking to one another, something is really lost. Interpretation can be misconstrued, offensive taken. The lost art of communication. Maybe texting and email is expedient,but I would still rather share a cup of hot cocoa and have a verbal chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree that it is a lost art (and I'd much rather have a face to face chat over a cup)!

      Delete