I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Low Key for Me

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the Three of Cups; from the Button Oracle, Horse:
          I'm not fond of big parties, as I prefer more intimate, laid-back gatherings. So the contented company Granny keeps while cheerfully knitting in this card seems just about perfect to me. I'm obviously not the only one who feels this way. Abraham Heschel wrote: "People of our time are losing the power of celebration. Instead of celebrating we seek to be amused or entertained. Celebration is an active state, an act of expressing reverence or appreciation." Sounds a little different than getting drunk and being rowdy. But the Horse button reminds me to hold my horses when it comes to my opinion. This button's keywords - independence and nonconformity - were based on the spirit of the mustang. In the words of Nelson Mandela, "To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." That reminds me that some people may express their reverence and appreciation in much different ways than I do, and as long as no one gets hurt, that is perfectly fine.

5 comments:

  1. The last part is very important: as long as we don't bother others we are free to celebrate as we please.
    I suppose I won't cause a lot of inconvenience while reading my book, sipping my coffee and playing with my cards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not considering others is big. I think that may be what Heshchel was trying to get across: sacred celebration is not centered around one person while excluding others.

      Delete
  2. I looked up Kwanzaa last night and was surprised to find it is a week long celebration,
    ---made up in 1966.---
    Factiods, always a reason to celebrate new knowledge, although I was bitterly disappointed to not find some interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will eventually have history, if it is continued to be celebrated. Sometimes we have to start somewhere...

      Delete
    2. That is an excellent observation. Everything had to start somewhere and new starts deserve celebrating.

      Delete