I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 18, 2017

Completion with a Caveat

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the World; from the Button Oracle, Dragon:
          Granny's card reminds me of the many television shows here in America that focus on remodeling someone's home. Usually they hide the family from the rebuilding activity, then when it is finished, they bring them back. The builders have something blocking the family's view at first (like a large truck); when it is moved, the family gasps in gleeful surprise. When I have shouldered the responsibility and done the work to bring about my own achievement, I often feel fiercely protective of the result. The Dragon Button represents that reaction but with a caveat. In the words of Carl Jung, "protection and security are only valuable when not excessively cramping to our existence." Just as that new house will get dinged, scuffed and dusty, I can't keep my life and what I accomplish under a bell jar. But I can enjoy what is here now, without clinging to the hope that it will never change.

6 comments:

  1. An this remind me of my earlier obsession with scuffed cards. I was afraid to use my decks if I didn't have a back up copy somewhere. Luckily I got over it and now I even enjoy The soft marks of wear and tear on my decks. Why safe it for later when you can enjoy it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my motto too. :) I do take some precautions (lick the Cheeto dust off your fingers please, lol), but I don't treat them like precious treasures.

      Delete
  2. Back in the day, we had one of those giant satellite dishes. I remember being ecstatic when HGTV hit the air. What I realized about a year down the road, was if the interiors with bright the expert would always go with beige. If the interior was beige the expert would go with red or orange walls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine any 'expert' understanding my preferences without my consultation. :D

      Delete
  3. HGTV don't get me started. In real estate the consumers watch those programs and think that homes can change in a half hour or a week. They don't think about all the editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel for folks in the construction business whose clients feel like they should have a house built in a week (because they did it on TV, right?). :D

      Delete