I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Waiting for the Tsunami

From the Alchemical Tarot Renewed, the Five of Coins; from the Oracle of the Radiant Sun, Indecision:
          This beggar walks with hand outstretched and eyes closed. Place suggests the four coins at his feet represent the four elements - resources - that the man walks past. He states "he will not accumulate anything because the Quinta Essentia is missing (the fifth element - essence)." His poverty is a result of a decayed spirit. Before he lost his wealth and health, his principles of humility, kindness, and generosity became scarce . Like Scrooge, he is missing out on what is needed for joy. The Indecision card represents Venus in Libra, a mix of love with a desire for harmony. Libra can sometimes be so terrified of rocking the boat, he just sits there waiting for the wave that will wash him overboard. Sure other people may be shocked by our situation, but exposed vulnerability can often ignite compassionate action.
You are different now. Is the person who did that action five years ago the same person you are now? If she were exactly the same person, you would still be doing the same action. The present "you" exists in a continuum from that person, but is not exactly the same as her. Look back at the person you were with compassion. You can understand the suffering and confusion she was experiencing that made her act in that way. ~  Thubten Chodron

8 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a time in my life when all four elements were in a mess. 17 years on I still think about what I could have done differently. The wonderful Chodron quote is timely...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we can only use the tools we have until we discover different ones. :) Shame is a heavy burden to drag around.

      Delete
  2. Compassion of our former self... So much needed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing our younger selves with compassion helps us to do the same with those around us too, I think. Goodness knows I have enough dirt in my past to make a mountain!

      Delete
  3. I kick myself ever so often realizing I've walked right by resources.
    Speaking of Tsunami, I see it was 90 there and pouring rain. I'm thinking we aren't coming to GA, we likely wouldn't survive it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our climate is not for the faint-hearted. :) When the Summer Olympics were held in Atlanta (that has cooler temps than us), they had gobs of folks treated for heat exhaustion and dehydration. I've been enjoying my walks in the rain because I don't have to deal with the gnats!

      Delete
  4. There must be something in the air. Our cards are all giving us a bit of despondency. It's in the nineties here as well. It is going to be a long hot summer.

    ReplyDelete