I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Cuckoo Clock Chimes

From the Vision Quest Tarot, Grandmother (Empress); from the Bird Cards, the Cuckoo:
          In the creation myths of some East Coast tribes, the Great Spirit created their homeland by placing earth on the back of a giant turtle (and why some contemporary Native Americans refer to North America by the name "Turtle Island"). This Empress card is a nod both to Mother Earth and the feminine side of wisdom. Such wisdom expresses itself through compassion and creativity in ways that serve others. When I hear the word 'cuckoo,' I think of the clock named for the bird call that marks each hour. The cuckoo has been associated with the start of warmer seasons, as seen in this 13th century medieval English round:
Summer has arrived,
Sing loudly, cuckoo!
The seed is growing
And the meadow is blooming,
And the wood is coming into leaf now,
Sing, cuckoo!
Both the Empress and the Cuckoo suggest than now is the time for my compassion and creativity to bloom; there's no need to wait for everything to be perfect.

10 comments:

  1. A timely post for me. So often I try to make my circumstances perfect before I start with a new project but when is life ever perfect? So we'd better start living it and doing what brings us and others joy. And who knows maybe the circumstances will improve even more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think my waiting for things to be perfect is just another way for me to postpone and not do anything. But as you said, when is anything ever perfect? :)

      Delete
  2. When I saw the Empress card my first thought was another "Lovers" card.
    I have learned something new, Turtle Island, what a lovely homage for our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is a form of love - unconditional. :) I liked the incorporation of Mother Earth in this form!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful post Bev, with such inspiring cards. So much wisdom in Indigenous tradition. I taught a group of kids last year about the Circle of Courage, grades 3-5. We all got so much from it.

    One of the students I'm going to his Birthday party today a young Syrian boy who was in my class 10 years old.His family settled as refugees in our small rural community. I'm giving him a drawing I did of the Bear for courage, belonging, community and the knowledge that he is loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you talking about that class and what a joy it was to be a part of it. What a great present to give that young man!

      Delete
  4. not having see a cuckoo I had to research...I did not know they are brood parasites like our common starlings. Well placed with the Empress as guard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think only some of the species are parasite breeders, though I think the common cuckoo is one.

      Delete
  5. Great post. Allowing ourselves to create without wAiting for the circumstances to be perfect and without telling ourselves the outcome must be a masterpiece is compassionate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! To create for the pure joy of it rather than any other reason is so different than feeling obligated to do something 'perfect.'

      Delete