I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, March 2, 2017

What's Left Behind

From the Touchstone Tarot, the Eight of Cups; from the John Waterhouse Oracle, Pandora:
          Under the light of a full moon, an owl flies over eight golden cups. A young man has resolutely turned to walk in the opposite direction, knowing those cups only contain the brine of his tears. I had such a need to be liked and loved when I was young, I never abandoned my cups no matter how bad things got in my relationships. As I got older, I not only turned my back (and heart) on those who angered and hurt me, I burned the bridges as I left. Today I will still leave relationships to protect my physical and emotional health, but I try not to withdraw my compassion too. If I can change, surely others have the capacity to do so too? Pandora, the first female created by the Greek gods, was given all sorts of gifts - including curiosity it seems. She let loose all the evils on the world, but closed the box/jar before Hope got out. Does that mean Hope was locked away from mankind or kept in safety? If it was expectant hope, the kind of with conditions and specifics attached, it may be good thing that it wasn't let loose.
Hope and fear is a feeling with two sides. As long as there’s one, there’s always the other. This is the root of our pain. ~ Pema Chodron

4 comments:

  1. How sad to think that hope has been locked away and for some I suppose it is so. I lose track of mine from time to time and then I find my way back. That is a new thought... Maybe the eight cups anchor us while we search for the ninth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they could be an anchor, or they might be a weight that pulls us down and makes us feel like we are drowning (which might explain walking away from them!).

      Delete
  2. I like to belief Hope is kept there for all who have lost Her, so they can always find her again.
    Today I found my hope in the little things, especially in the early signs of Spring. :)
    I like to belief Hope is kept there for all who have lost Her, so they can always find her again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope for change, but try not to put too many parameters around what that looks like (as then it becomes an expectation!). Easier said than done, though. :)

      Delete