I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Watering the Roots

This week I'll be using the Nature Spirit Tarot, a book and deck set created and self-published by Jean Marie Herzel. I'll also be drawing from the Australian Wildflower Reading Cards, a set created by Cheralyn Darcey and published by Rockpool. Today's cards are the Four of Swords and the Native Passionflower:
          The Swords suit in this deck is primarily represented by the prairie coneflower (aka 'Mexican hat), a drought-tolerant plant. Yet every plant eventually needs a deep drink of water, just as humans all require some quiet and rest to stay sane. The praying mantis represents the stillness this card encourages, and the lily of the valley (in the window) symbolizes stopping to notice and enjoy the sweetness in life. The northern red oak the mantis rests on has a deep tap root as well as extensive lateral roots; it is a reminder to ground ourselves in order to stay balanced in our busy lives. The acorns on this tree require two years to develop before they are mature, suggesting rest can't be rushed. How is it that our society today has decided grown-ups don't get to play or take time off except when we go on vacation (often with the people who stress us out the most)? Even weekends seem relegated to fulfilling obligations rather than taking a time-out. The Native Passionflower card brings the message that "Love starts from within and grows out." There is nothing self-indulgent about taking care of one's body, mind and spirit. A dead tree has no shade to offer or fruit to give anyone; self-compassion requires that I keep my own roots watered if I want to be helpful or effective in whatever I do.

7 comments:

  1. what a great deck pairing. Looking to see more of both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever there was a deck tailored to the nature lover (and trivia nut) in me, the Nature Spirit is it. Her book details all the plants, bugs, stones, birds and other animals in each card. I'm a fan of woodcut decks, so I'm liking the Wildflower one too. Even better, both seem to rely more on the actual characteristics of the plant or animal rather than "channeled" information. Big cards in both decks!

      Delete
  2. Everybody and everything needs time. I did not know it took two years for acorns to mature. Something new learned everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acorns of white oaks take one year to develop, and the acorns of red oaks take two. Not sure why though! :)

      Delete
  3. Great post...'rest can't be rushed' will stick in my mind...

    You can't look after anyone else until you look after yourself first (mind, body spirit as you say) is a lesson I keep learning, unlearning, learning, unlearning... Four days to weekend - hopefully we remember that first 'obligation' - here goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ironic... I want to have a day to rest, then when it gets here, I'm already thinking about what I need to do next. :) It seems I need a full twelve hours just to wind down my mind and body before I rest! The Jewish faith had the right idea with the Sabbath.

      Delete
    2. Twelve hours to wind down is quite efficient! Took me a week to wind down over Christmas....in some ways the old religions are helpful in asking people to stop for a day and the rituals also slow us down which is good.

      Delete