I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Safety First

From the Greenwood Tarot, the Two of Stones (Pentacles); from the Rune Cards, Ihwaz/Eoh:
           Potter illustrates this card with two hares boxing on a bridge over two stones. The European hare's breeding season begins in March, making them behave strangely and sometimes violently (thus the saying 'mad as a March hare'). But in all fairness, these animals are prey not predator; it is urgent that they procreate to continue the species. I'm well aware of that feeling of needing to get something accomplished before time runs out. Yet the board these two hares stand on remind me to stay mindful and keep my balance. Getting hurt or sick won't be helpful and surely will only impede progress. Ihwaz/Eoh is associated with the yew tree, a symbol of protection and continuance. Often seen in graveyards, the toxicity of this tree was thought to deter scavenging animals. A reassessment of values might be in order. Challenges should not be tackled without adhering to safety protocols. Staying alert as I move through the day is a message to heed.

6 comments:

  1. For me Eoh also represents death or the fear of death. Perhaps these hares fight without fear of death because the stakes are too high. Sometimes we have to take risks to achieve what we trulywant but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful :D
    I hope you are doing well My dear friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that might apply, but in the current situation there are lots of risks. I nearly put a nail through my palm yesterday as we were looking through debris.

      Delete
  2. Who are those people inside the door at the base of the tree? And why is the Dragon guarding the Yew tree or maybe guarding the people at the door. The Dragon at the gate? Maybe those rabbits are distracting us with their display so we don't pay attention to what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elves? Dryads? I think the tree and the dragon are providing protection from the humans would destroy them.

      Delete
  3. Carolyn latched onto the same thing I did. My story says the skull of the human is meant as a distraction to the dragon, but the little folk are in even more danger than they think. Look at the dragon tail wound all through the tree. He is going to yank, and it is all over except the screaming.
    On the other hand the early tamoxifen started with the yew and has been fighting breast cancer for 67 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know that about tamoxifen; so the yew can be poison in one regard, a life saver in the other.

      Delete