I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Generating, Reviewing, Editing

From the Navigators of the Mystic Sea, the Ace of Pentacles; from the Celtic Lenormand, the Rider:
          A man appears ready to catch a frisbee-like pentacle flying his way. The keyword for this card is generation: the act or process of bringing into being. I immediately thought of a quote by Annie Dillard: "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." What have I generated in my life with this body and mind I've been given? At first glance, not much. There are no overflowing bank accounts in my name, but the bills are paid and there is food in the cupboard. Yet I'm sure Dillard was pointing to something much more important than accumulating money and possessions. Perhaps it is the people I come in contact with, and the attention (or inattention) I give them. Or it may be focusing on the joy I find in each moment rather than expectantly waiting for happiness to arrive in the future. The Rider is generally interpreted as news, messages or movement. In this deck, he is also a bard - a storyteller, musician and poet. He reminds me that I am writing the story of my life, and it I don't like the chapters so far, I still have time to move in another direction.

5 comments:

  1. I remember something the author Iyanla Vanzant said, that know one knows our life like we do so we better get it written. True but I wonder how we can write about something that we are still in the midst of. The blog is one way. I notice that all the characters are going right. Yesterday left..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we write it by consciously living in the moment instead of in the past or future. :)

      Delete
    2. I think one way is to slow down. I just noticed I typed know for no in the first line. Yeah slow down a bit and be in the moment.

      Delete