I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Redirect, Your Honor

From the Via Tarot, the Nine of Swords; from the Nature's Pharmacy Deck, Horseradish:
          This guy has nine swords protruding from his mind, each held by a skeletal hand. At the top is an inset of two figures, one who appears to be casting the other into a vortex of doom. People can truly be pissers sometimes, but no one does cruelty like we can do to ourselves. Give the mind a little resentment or fear to chew on, and it can do wondrous (and horrible) things with them. Do it long enough, and you end up as a victim with a terrible case of analysis paralysis. What does the Pharmacy deck produce for an antidote? Horseradish. This herb's common name comes from its coarse leaves and thick root (sturdy like a horse) and for its pungent taste (radish). I know of it mostly as a sauce - the condiment with the kick of a horse. We used often at oyster roasts when I was in college (it covered the taste for me, until I got drunk enough not to care). Both these cards brought back a memory of my mom right after the love of her life died. She told me she could get up every morning as long as she had a purpose, something to look forward to. I think this guy would be wise to redirect his mind to a positive focus that he could get excited about and anticipate too.


6 comments:

  1. Your mom's way was my road to survival too. I can't imagine how I would have found my way out of the black pit without the love for daughters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was resolute about never turning down an invitation to the movies, a dinner, a concert, etc. She said that was what kept her going after the numbness wore off and all the paperwork got sorted.

      Delete
  2. everything in the world leads to me. Weird how we can drive ourselves to that mind set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We humans can be consumed with an astonishing amount of self-absorption.

      Delete
  3. Analysis Paralysis, that is a really precise turn of phrase for that which goes through our minds. The many swords/thoughts swirling at one time could and does stop us in our tracks. I don't like horseradish.

    ReplyDelete