I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 15, 2016

First, Cool the Flame

From the Via Tarot, the Ten of Wands; from the Nature's Pharmacy Deck, White Willow:
          The Thoth keyword for the Ten of Wands is Oppression, that feeling like one's living spark is being suppressed to the point of being snuffed out. What happens then looks like the image on this card - angry (sometimes to the point of violence) protesters who can no longer tolerate living in such circumstances. It could happen on an individual basis, such as a wife who leaves an emotionally abusive husband, or a city-wide march of a group demanding civil rights. But the White Willow is drawn to emphasize what should not be forgotten in these situations. The bark of  Salix alba contains salicin, a chemical known for its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. In the 1800s, salicin was used to develop aspirin. The willow reminds me that people often can't hear the message I want them to receive because of my rage. All they see is my out-of-control flame, and so they react with fear. If I can tamp down the fires, I might get my message of unmet needs or feelings of injustice across to ears that actually hear them.
Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others. ~ John F. Kennedy

10 comments:

  1. I love how from those ten wands always one wand, the ace remains. Maybe we are getting angry and frustrated by letting the pressure build up. if we focus one issue without rambling about everything else we might get our message across a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true - find a focus point instead of dumping a million things on someone (who will likely be overwhelmed and refuse to hear anything!).

      Delete
  2. Nothing really get accomplished when we come from a place of fear, and then anger is the fear geared up. I think people sense our fear and anger and they go in defensive mode and thats when it goes to 'hell in a hand basket'
    I think the characters in most tens of wands worry that all the work they have done is not enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - fear and anger definitely aren't a good mix!

      Delete
  3. Agree with Carolyn anger is just fear channelled another way. Thank you for dropping by my site yeasterday. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know when I go to your blog I'm likely to either learn something or be challenged to think deeply about something. :)

      Delete
  4. It's strange to think of you as burning with rage, you always come across as so wise and calm on the blog. Yet, I recognise that this may be where you come to find that calm, when it isn't other places. Your post makes me think about how a little prevention is better than a lot of cure - like taking an anti-inflammatory rather than letting pain get worse and worse until you can't move at all. What would bring your rage down to manageable proportions? For me, it's definitely meditation and journalling, and doing a kickbutt workout to let off steam ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger (20-30s), I was a rage-oholic. My fear came out as anger, so too my sadness. It took a lot of work to figure out what I was doing and why (anger feels a lot more powerful). I don't usually get into a rage these days unless I bump into a huge injustice of some kind. My go-to decompression is always walking; I can get the energy out without pumping the anger up. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, walking, especially in nature, is another go-to for me. So strange to think of the person I know as a wise teacher of meditation having been a rage-oholic. Yet, we so often teach what we most needed to learn... :)

      Delete
    3. Amen sister, re: teaching what we need to learn!

      Delete