I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Magic Beans

From the Veritable Tarot de Marseille, the Ace of Pentacles; from the Greek Alphabet Runes, Mu:
          According to Bursten, Coins involve obtaining and providing for oneself while the Aces are like planting a seed that will grow. Today I feel like Jack's mother who discovers her son has traded the family cow for some magical seeds. I've lost quite a few physical things lately, and this Ace feels like a slap in the face. I don't want to start over, to have to "regrow" what once was. But unfortunately life is doesn't give us do-overs; we just have to deal with reality as best we can. Which brings up the Greek letter Mu, which also happens to represent an important quality in Zen Buddhism. Mu (Wu in Chinese) can't be easily defined in English but may perhaps be understood as "not applicable." Robert Pirsig ( Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) suggests this word is useful when one's understanding of the context of the question needs to be enlarged. He writes, "Because we're unaccustomed to it, we don't usually see that there's a third possible logical term equal to yes and no which is capable of expanding our understanding in an unrecognized direction." Mu reminds me that my focus on the past is neither helpful nor relevant to this Ace; I need to widen my perspective. And who knows, those beans just might sprout into something wonderful.

8 comments:

  1. I will take those magic beans. Maybe they will sprout the stalk that takes me on adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Carolyn. I had a bad night last night (pain, migraine), and I think it has twisted my normally upbeat attitude! Time to start the day over. :)

      Delete
    2. We all have those days. Those are the days we try to be more kind to ourselves. Chocolate helps. Wait does chocolate come from the cacao beans? There are your beans. Magic chocolate beans.

      Delete
  2. Always better to expect better rather than worse. Chin up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep; if I'm going to have expectations, I might as well make them positive ones. :)

      Delete
  3. Belief in your beans Bev! Water them, speak to them and while you're at it soak up some sunshine yourself too.
    I hope today will be a bright day and that your beans will sprout soon
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the temperature at 97F, I might pass on the sunshine :), but a little rain for those seeds might be good.

      Delete
    2. It raining every day here and it is very clouded and greyish :D

      Delete