I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Telenovas and Electric Fences

From the Sheridan Douglas Tarot, the Knight of Cups; from the Pages of Shustah, the Separating Fence:
          This young knight wears no armor, most likely because it would detract from his blonde hair blowing in the wind and his watery cape that flies out behind him. His pony is barely at a trot, which makes me think there is a fan blowing just out of the frame to give him this windswept, romantic look. The Knight of Cups always makes me feel as if I'm watching a telenovela. There's lots of passionate emotion, but it doesn't appear to be very realistic. Yet perhaps this knight's job is not in the physical world; he could be just trying to rescue those of us who are cut off from our feelings. As Helen Keller put it, "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." Which makes the message of the Separating Fence seem strange: "the recognition of the need for partial restraint against another person." I was flummoxed until it dawned on me that sometimes this person can be from our past and live in our heads. I have one who reminds me of what a weak and worthless person I am every time I cry. For him only an electric fence will do.
Mike Luckovich - The Denver Post

6 comments:

  1. Maybe the knight is coming to rescue you from yourself and that despairing thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad that some of us feel we need permission to cry.

      Delete
    2. I agree. One of things we heard often when growing from my Father "you want something to cry about, I'll give you something to cry about." I learned much later in life that my Father never received much of any compassion, sympathy or expressions of love. His Mother never had it in her. He did better than her and I hope we have done better than him.

      Delete
    3. Amen. Some family patterns and values need to be broken.

      Delete