I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Guiding from Experience

The week I'll be using the Shining Tribe Tarot, a deck and book set created by Rachel Pollack and published by Llewellyn. The oracle I'll be using is a wooden set of Animal Tiles, hand pyro-etched by my multi-talented friend Carole. My draws this morning were the Speaker of Stones (King of Pentacles) and Otter:
          Pollack writes that the spiral of dots above this figure's head represents knowledge of the mind, while the radiating design on the belly implies knowledge of the gut (instincts). Yet this King is grounded in reality; I imagine that table in front of him/her is for drawing up plans rather than divination. Ideas and hunches may be taken into account, but past experience will likely be given more weight. As a guide for his/her kingdom, concrete information instead of abstract thought or feelings will hold more weight for the Speaker of Stones. Otter pops in to back up this King. Unlike sea otters who spend most of their time in the ocean, river otters spend much of their time on land to prevent their fur from becoming waterlogged. If I am looking for wise guidance and direction, I might first have to take a step back from tradition, personal preferences and the viewpoints of others. I am reminded of the Buddha's advice given to the Kalama people:
Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted and carried out, lead to welfare and to happiness' — then you should enter and remain in them. ~ Kalama Sutta


4 comments:

  1. When I first started working with the Tarot I read Rachel Pollacks book SEVENTY EIGHT DEGREES OF WISDOM and later a couple of other ones. Her writing on tarot really helped build my base of knowledge, but those cards of hers in the Shining Tribe are unfathomable to me. I look forward to your weekly work with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully there is a book with this set, though my posts are a combination of Pollack's explanations added to my personal thoughts and knowledge.

      Delete
  2. I suppose he won't invent the wheel but he can keep the cart on track. His way of thinking doesn't leave much room for experimentation. perhaps Otter can tempt him to loosen up a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine he'll visit his brothers (wands and swords) if he's looking for innovation. :D I got the impression from these two draws that sometimes too much information and input can keep anything solid from ever appearing.

      Delete