I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Strengths and Weaknesses

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Nine of Wands; from the OH Cards, Cards/Naked:
          With teeth and claws extended, this roaring tiger makes a powerful image. Yet so does the woman, who remains focused, calm and relaxed while holding a fireball in one hand. She reminds me of a martial arts master, whose energy is never used or wasted until it is needed. This card of strength asks us to take confidence in who we are and what we stand for. Challenges that we've met successfully in the past are the keys to personal strengths that will be useful now. White shouts the encouragement: "Do not be tamed!"
          The layout of cards makes me think of a tarot spread. I do very few readings for other people these days, mostly because folks expect a fortune teller. Many people only want to know what's in the future, not so they can do something different, but so they can abdicate responsibility for their lives. "Tell me what to do. Tell me how my life will unfold." As the song says, you can't fight fate, right? Destiny then becomes an easy scapegoat for everything that goes wrong. The "naked" word card explains my view of divination cards (tarot and oracle). As a tool, they help me become aware of habitual patterns, many of which keep me stuck in an unending cycle of unhappiness and suffering. It may be beneficial to know my personal strengths, but it's even more helpful to know my weaknesses so I can work to change them.

7 comments:

  1. good morning. iPad app will only give me cards I've already had this week :( Maybe I'll use one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology.... speaking of strengths and weaknesses. :D

      Delete
  2. If we knew everything that was coming what would be the point. Life is an adventure, we get to dance with the tiger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew everything in advance, I'd drive myself crazy trying to anticipate the good and outfox the bad. :) I like the idea of "dancing with the tiger!"

      Delete
  3. When I see a Strength card it often reminds me of the book "Women who run with wolves". It took me quite some time to try to roll back my upbringing to be the good and quiet girl. I believe we all have this innate strength within us but the expectations of society do not always approve of the Wild Women :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a Nine of Wands card, but in Thoth-speak, it's known as the Lord of Strength. :)
      Love that book!

      Delete