I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, March 20, 2015

Are We There Yet?

From the Restored Order Tarot, the Four of Cups; from the Oracle of Kabbalah, "Tzadi:"
          Hey buddy, I understand your sense of dissatisfaction with life. I've got several situations going on that are hard to deal with, and nothing seems to be getting better. It does make you want to give up. But that tree your sitting under is shedding its leaves, meaning autumn has arrived. The seasons are changing and your situation will too. I know sometimes waiting on the change to come is like watching the grass grow - an excruciatingly, slow process. But it is there, hovering close by.
          But here's an idea to think about while you wait: tzadi. Its root (denoting kindness and integrity) makes up the word tzaddik, a person who sustains the universe through virtue and good deeds. Jewish tradition says that every generation has 36 such people who humbly perform beneficial deeds in secret. They can lighten hearts with a smile, an encouraging word or act of kindness. The lemon (half yellow, half green) on Applegate's illustration made me think of a neighbor's tree. I thought for a long time it was a lime tree because the fruits stayed green for so long (hidden). A lemon slice can add zest and flavor to a bland glass of water, similar to the tzaddik's actions. So instead of doing an Eeyore impression while you wait for change, maybe you can focus on adding a slice of sunshine to someone else's life.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely how the season on the card acted as an inspiration for a different interpretation of this card. Interesting, too, about the idea of the tzaddik. Though I would say there are way more than 36 such people - maybe that was based on a small community. The smile from a stranger that makes a difference to your day, such a lovely truth :) Good luck with your zestiness! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tzaddiks can actually be anyone (sort of like a person who chooses to be a bodhisattva but is not a Bodhisattva); the 36 are special tzaddiks called "Lamed-vav Tzaddikim" - 36 Righteous Ones who are like saints in disguise. I love Jewish folklore. :)

      Delete
  2. Good Grief. only 36 in a generation? I find that folklore depressing beyond belief. An even blacker outlook on humanity than mine! Never thought I'd live to see it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but those 36 are like super-heroes, not mere mortals. :D

      Delete
  3. It's always good to be frequently reminded of and keep it at the forefront of my mind, that there is nothing that gets your mind off your own problems, then to help another. It's easy to get myopic in our own 'misery'. You know poor me, poor me, pour me another drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a fine line for me between getting out of my self-absorption and completely distracting myself so I don't have to deal with anything (abdicating responsibility). It's good to have friends who can tell me when I'm running off the road. :D

      Delete
  4. I empathize Bev. Takes practice for sure to get out of our own way.

    ReplyDelete