I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, December 8, 2014

Watch Your Step

From the Ancient Tarot of Lombardy, the Hermit; from the Lenormand de Marseilles, the "Ring:"
       Bursten writes that hermits - those who lead a solitary, spiritual life - were quite common in Renaissance Europe. Paintings of St. Anthony the Great (father of monasticism) often showed him holding a bell to ward off temptation, and Bursten suggests the lamp might have evolved from it. Portraits of philosophers frequently had them carrying a light as a symbol of a search for virtue. At this stage in my life, I see the need for spiritual self-inventory. I search for character defects but also virtues, for what I need to change and what I should continue doing. And what is my biggest temptation? Rationalizing or turning a blind eye to dishonorable behavior instead of owning it.
       The Ring can represent an obligation, commitment or an alliance. It makes me think of Christian nuns who wear a simple, silver ring after taking their final vows to the Church. Sometimes obligations and commitments can feel heavy and burdensome, whether spiritual or earthly. But generally there is a reason I made that promise to myself or another. In the case of the Hermit, I know examining my actions and thoughts can prevent me from wandering too far off my path, and it can also be beneficial in producing a more joyful, peaceful life.

4 comments:

  1. that Edwin, he is so creative! I don't have any of his decks but I've admired them all..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! I love the tarot cards he replaced the playing cards with on these. :)

      Delete
  2. I like this post very much Bev. I sometimes feel like that Hermit in many ways. I have been on that spiritual quest since I was very young and have spent most of life alone.
    I don't see obligation as a good thing which is a burden and what I equated with obedience. Once I understood the word obedience that burden was lifted. Obedience is the desire to do the will of God not mine first a foremost not because I have to but because I want to. This sure made all the difference for me. I learned as well to embrace what life hands out the great and the crappy! Acceptance is for me what I need always, but of the void left especially when we loose loved ones. For me this is the hardest part of acceptance. I lost my good friend yesterday who died of a heart attack, and well that's a hard one to accept.

    Peace and Blessings and Joy to you Bev always,

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Cat))), I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the good memories you have will soon outweigh the heartache you feel now.
      I think everyone is on a spiritual quest of some kind, we just may not realize it or call it by that name.

      Delete