I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 19, 2014

Triage for the Heart

From the Llewellyn Tarot, the Ace of Cups; from the Beasts of Albion, "Hare:"
          The Ace of Cups represents an offering of deep joy, love, devotion and compassion. But it is a gift I must be willing to use, to take the time to sip from it. Above all, I must not let others drink as much as they'd like from my cup if I'm parched myself. Sound selfish? There's a saying in 12 Step groups: First Things First. Before I help others, I need to take care of myself - do what will enable me to survive and thrive. This is my responsibility, not the duty of someone else; I must attend to my own emotional and spiritual needs. There's no way I can be of benefit to others if I'm running on empty.  
          Because of its natural habit of being able to reproduce at astonishing numbers, the hare has often been seen as a symbol of fecundity and abundance. Gray also brings up the saying "Mad as a March hare," and likens it to wild inspiration that rises like sap. But for it to be expressed in a useful way, this fertility must have some boundaries. There needs to be some kind of support that will sustain what is produced. A starving animal will not be able to care for its young, and they too will die. Don't think of it as selfishness, think of it as triage for the heart and soul. 
         

4 comments:

  1. I do hope you can maintain a certain level of self care. The upside of this cup is it is overflowing so just keep drinking from this one so your cup will be full again too
    ( although not always commenting I am reading you posts daily)
    gentle hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, my mobility is so limited I don't have much choice. Amazing how much pain can motivate a person to care for themselves! :)

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear you are in such pain, Bev! And yes, if you don't care for yourself, you cannot be creative or helpful, so self-care is a necessity.
    Gentle hugs from here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. At least (thanks to the doctor) I have better understanding of what is going on and have a game plan for managing pain as I heal. It's so nice to find a doctor who takes the time to listen!

      Delete