I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Instant Answers

From the Albano-Waite Tarot, the King of Pentacles; from the Rumi Cards, "sage of Love:"
        Albano has made such a tangle of green all around the King, I am reminded of kudzu. This ruler has definitely created a solid and secure kingdom, which is likely the result of him being so grounded and practical (as symbolized by the bulls on his throne). Yet the armored foot peeking out from underneath his robe implies that he is not passive and sedentary. Part of what keeps him in that place of power is that he actively shares his "how-to" knowledge with others. His generosity is based in the belief that helping others find stability will also benefit him.
       The Rumi card points out that we humans tend to generalize one experience to all others. We like to paint with a wide brush, neatly labeling and categorizing situations and people instead of looking at each individually. I was reminded of this yesterday when a woman told me, "I don't want someone to tell me what to do, I just want someone to listen." I can be so practical that when I hear a problem, I want to offer a solution. I want to wrap things up neatly and quickly. Yet even the King of Pents knows that gifts or money are only a temporary fix. Instead of looking for an instant and easy answer, perhaps I should first understand what the deeper dilemma truly is.
           

4 comments:

  1. "when I hear a problem, I want to offer a solution" Me too!!! My girls are often telling me not to solve their problems but just to listen to them. And I want to sweep them as fast as I can over the threshold and create harmony and safety. I find the imbalance of problems quite unsettling .
    Listening takes time, a large amount of trust and an open mind. ( I lack all three of them :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate! That unsettled feeling makes me want to bring things back in balance immediately, to get things stable NOW. :) But I rarely get to the real cause of the problem without being willing to listen and observe first.

      Delete
  2. seems all that greenery also forms a self-made prison. Success in the coins manner has employees, real estate, etc that all must be supported by the King. Endless circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same thought (why it made me think of kudzu); he could be like the 4 of Pents fellow or spread it around which would benefit him and others.

      Delete