I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 22, 2014

Torch or Tinder?

From the Wild Unknown, the Seven of Wands; from the Pictish Oracle, the "Arch:"
One branch stands upright and blazing in the night, while six other "dead" branches wave below it. Why does there always seem to be a group that tries to put out the creative fire of another person? I can think of a couple of reasons. She might be younger than the rest and labeled an "upstart." Her ideas might threaten the status quo and (they fear) topple tradition. Or, the others might envy her for the recognition she gets, wanting to be acknowledged and rewarded themselves. However, they might simply be "trolls," who delight in ruining the joy and image of others because it makes them feel better about themselves. 
Though the Arch symbol resembles a horseshoe, it is very unlikely that it is; there is absolutely no archaeological evidence that the Picts ever shod their horses. However it does resemble an artifact of jewelry that they are well-known for: torcs, or neck rings. The torc represented the wearer's power and authority. In combining this symbol with the Seven of Wands, there is a warning to use one's power with good intent and for the benefit of all. While it might be nice to wipe off those smug smiles, feed them a large helping of crow, and place my boot on the back of their necks, it would bring me down to their level of understanding and compassion. Then I'd eventually be waving a dead branch too.

6 comments:

  1. throwing a bucket of cold water on a new idea. Family is famous for this, friends too. Know they mean it in a manner "don't want you disappointed, or hurt, or broke", but...

    I have learned if I start a sentence with "well.." to swallow my words, they are unnecessary and unasked for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family... you are so right - they can be our staunchest supporters or the loudest opponents. Either way, they pack a punch.

      Delete
  2. Yes Bev, got to watch out for those trolls I find. My give a crap stopped working a long time ago, but. Live and Let Live I say. I try hard to never explain, never complain. We should never try to crush anothers dreams.

    I'm reading The Happiness of Pursuit, by Chris Guillbeau, about quests, dreams, and the meaning of purpose. Lots of practical wise advice, and about how to avoid the voice of the troll including our own inner troll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that "inner troll" can do more damage than the outer ones!

      Delete
  3. Definitely a sign of personal power to keep shining when others try to throw a damp cloth on you, and to do so without trying to outshine others. Why is life always a balancing act? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all 78 cards have something to say about balance in some way or another! :)

      Delete