I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Get a Water Filter

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Five of Cups; from the OH Cards, "Hug/Violate:"
I was curious as to why this unicorn had eight legs; that waterfall must either be polluted or radioactive. But White explains its connection to Odin's eight-legged horse Sleipnir, who not only had incredible speed, but could bear its rider to the abode of the gods or the land of the dead. White refers to this card as "the wounded heart," a fitting description for the Five of Cups. The unicorn symbolizes a need to make something pure that has become sullied, to find a way to heal the hurt. The good news is seen in the pear and fig trees in the background; both are full of fruit, suggesting there are other sweet relationships waiting to be enjoyed. Time to saddle up and ride out of hell (taking a basket of fruit with me).
The OH card selections seem almost opposite each other in meaning. But if a person I was close to betrayed or used me, I would see that as a violation. Do I plot my revenge, waiting for the right moment to retaliate (meanwhile stewing in that polluted water)? Or do I learn from my encounter and try to be more discerning in my relationships? It appears from the Five of Cups that my time would be better spent with more trustworthy companions.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of the Mary El tarot but just like Kerry I find it very difficult to read with. Maybe if I would study the book, the cards would make more sense to me. This depiction of Sleipnir is wonderful. I've never seen him depicted as a unicorn :D
    Once really betrayed I seldom regain my trust in somebody. I rather move on than live with longduring suspicion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so like you in that regard. I might forgive someone, but once branded "untrustworthy," I rarely continue my friendship with them. The only way I would change that response was to see that I had made a mistake in judging their actions.

      Delete