I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fire and Water

From the Roots of Asia Tarot, the King of Wands; from the Earth Power Oracle, "Magdalena Bay:"
The King of Wands has a dual personality at times; the docile lion beneath his arm represents the constructive use of his fire. The doorway in the lion's mouth is an opening that leads to beneficial results for all. But the back of the king's head shows a dragon-like animal baring its teeth. It symbolizes the destructive side of fire that the booklet describes as insatiable craving. I went to see the movie Maleficent yesterday, and this film was a lesson in the havoc and harm that can be caused by such an obsession for power and revenge.
The raging fire of the King is dampened by the deep waters of the Magdalena Bay card. This bay in Mexico is the breeding ground for gray whales and has become a popular whale watching spot. The massive size of these mammals give them the potential for great destructive power, yet these gentle giants seem to have a "live and let live" philosophy unless threatened. Both these cards remind me to check my motives when I get fired up; my desires might seem reasonable at first glance, but I need to look at the long-term results they're likely to cause.

2 comments:

  1. That is a sound advice. At first glance we might think we mean well and for the good of all, bla bla bla etc but too often I notice a selfish tendency in my desires. As long as we are aware of our motives I think we'll be okay. It is better to have them out in the open than to cover them op with sweet talk
    I love the grace of the gentleness of the whale. They are such intelligent creatures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it easy to get fired up about something, especially if I can feel self-righteous about it. Always a red flag for me! Whale watching is on my list on things I'd like to do one day. :)

      Delete