I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Shield of Protection

From the Tarot of the Master, the Six of Coins:
At first sight, this card appears to be like the Four of Coins with its shield and crossbow so prominently displayed. But then I realized the soldier was being protected by the shield, not the other way around, and I was flooded with memories of the death of my dad. When I got the call, I was at the vet with my dog, who dying of an unknown illness. I hurriedly tossed clothes in a bag and left town to be with my mom, but I also sent out an SOS to friends and acquaintances so they would know what was going on. Compassionate teachers helped my elementary-school daughter make sense of what was going on. My husband (whose only shopping experience had been with his boys), helped her find a dress and shoes for the funeral. A friend made daily calls to the vet to check on my dog, and the vet continued to provide care and boarding (and eventually got him well again). As I look at the different faces on the coins in this image, it reminds me of all those people who supported me when I was in crisis mode. As far as resources go, I think it is so much easier to give money  - usually a one-time donation - than to share your time and energy. I will be eternally grateful for those folks who helped restore and maintain balance in my world when I could not.

The geomantic figure produced today was "Puella:"
Puella means "girl" and refers to a peaceful receptiveness; it is the container that holds what is poured into it. Puella is ruled by Venus, the planet of love. Yet in this case, it is the tender side of this emotion rather than the romantic aspect. With the Six of Coins above, I envision it as a hug full of caring.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is not my day today but I see in this card more the need to protect yourself form everybody who wants to come close to you, to get something, anything worth their while. I am more the hugger than the hugged one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worn both pairs of shoes (giver and taker), and I guess it all boils down to harmony and balance. If I give to someone and it just helps them stay imbalanced, then it is no real help at all. :) Discernment is always needed.

      Delete