I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, January 24, 2014

Enlarging the Future

From the Wheel of Change, the Six of Cups:
Six broken and cracked pottery vessels have been left out in the desert; they are no longer useful and will eventually disintegrate into the earth. The Six of Cups often deals with integrating the past with the present, and I feel I know why they have come up today. I was discussing my evolving spiritual ideas with a friend yesterday, and she suggested I do a timeline of who or what my spiritual thoughts were focused on and what was going on in my life at the time. This exercise brought up some uncomfortable memories of the past, yet I could clearly see how each circumstance helped shape the person I am today. But while I can learn from the cracked bowls of regret and pain, I don't have to keep them in my house like some sort of sick trophy collection.

From the Oracle of the Dreamtime comes the "Frilled-neck Lizard:"
The aboriginal story of the frilled-neck lizard is one of frustration and anger. This animal tried to talk with the other animals who were fighting because of a drought that had led to a lack of food and water. The lizard was a rainmaker, and the attitude of the animals made him so angry, he unleashed a storm that caused flooding and resulted in many deaths. Anger is such a powerful emotion, and it can be channeled in ways that create positive change or destructive retaliation. Memories, even those in the past, can trigger the feeling of anger as if the situation were happening all over again. I must be very careful with this emotion and find a way to defuse it. It helps to remember a quote from Paul Boese who said, “Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.”

2 comments:

  1. I know how difficult it can be to look back, but when you are able keep some distance between you and the memories, forgiving and letting go might be easier. I've learned it is not necessary to jump in the raging flood to remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly - I can look back at the raging waters but I don't have to go swim in them. :)

      Delete