I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Dead Meat

This week I'll be using the Vision Quest Tarot, created by Gayan S. Winter and Jo Dose and published by AG Muller. Today's card is the Ten of Air (Swords):
We have turkey vultures here in my area; they are one of the few birds who have a strong sense of smell. High above the treetops, they can circle and pick up the smell of a gas given off by dead animals. Winter connects this card to negative thinking, and explains how we can create mind-loops of thoughts that keep us feeling fearful, frustrated and overwhelmed. For some strange reason the image of Lady Gaga in her meat dress came to mind. Is that what I'm like as I walk around replaying old, worn-out beliefs and stories in my head? Are those destructive thoughts the dead meat I adorn myself with?

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Bird Cards deck and book set created by Jane Toerien and Joyce van Dobben and published by Altamira-Becht. This morning's draw is the "Pheasant:"
Toerien associates the Pheasant with power and authority - not the kind lorded over others, but the sort that allows us to recognize our own free will and determination. Added to the Ten of Air above, I am reminded that I am the one who created and continues to power the negative mind-loops. Do I think that by holding onto them it will somehow change the past or lessen the hurt? Logic tells me otherwise. No matter what the external cause, I cannot blame another person or situation for my thoughts. The responsibility for flipping the switch on or off lies at my door step.

4 comments:

  1. It always comes down to ourselves. It's a pity in this card there isn't the famous sunrise you see in other decks. In there, from the eight, to the ten you see a build up which leads to the decision to let go of these thoughts by standing up and flip the swicth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once the birds pick things clean and fly away, there will be a clear view from the top of the mountain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi thesycamore!!!!! First of all Happy New Year and my best wishes for you!!!
    Regarding your post, I much prefer the Pheasant :). You have the power, and you can turn the negative into positive mind. Muchas Estrellas for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Las Magas, and Happy New Year to your too!!

      Delete