I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Protective Fencing

From the Thoth Tarot, the Five of Swords:
Five different swords meet at their tips; the one with the crown is obviously the "winner" but not without cost (a piece of the blade is missing). Rose petals make the outline of an upside down pentagram, suggesting this conflict is mostly the result of human values being upended. Crowley's title for this card is "Defeat," and there is a hint of deep wounds that break down what was once strong and stable. Though the Five of Swords often implies a group of people arguing over their opinions and ideas, it can be an inner battle within one person. Regardless of the winner and losers, things will never be the same. Yet the right-side up pentagon made by the rose petals tell me a strength will be born from this conflict.

From the Vertical Oracle comes "Fragile:"
The leaf buds on the branch represent what is fragile; the phrase the author gives this card is: "a delicate condition to be tended." The diamond and pearl are complete opposites in their degrees of hardness, and though the doe may be considered gentle, she would eat the tender leaf buds in winter to survive. I really hate conflict and try to avoid it, but if someone were to hurt someone or something I love, I'd go after them with both barrels. I don't have to argue, but I might be called on to protect. As the author says, "Build a fence around whatever needs protection and nurture what is struggling to grow."

4 comments:

  1. That's what mothers do. Sometimes it feels like an inner lioness has been awakened after the birth of my first one. Honestly, it feels like I could kill if had too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is both a scary and empowering feeling, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes it is. You are so right. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world:D

      Delete
  2. I like your sense that you won't go seeking conflict, but will face it for the sake of others if necessary, and grow from the experience :)

    ReplyDelete