I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Passing Up Pot Shots

From the Cosmic Tarot, the Five of Wands:
I always groan inwardly when I pull this card. It generally means my opinion about how, when or where to do something is about to collide head-on with another person's ideas. It often starts with me making a suggestion (trying to be helpful) that is usually shot down rather quickly. Of course this offends me (because I have a tendency to think I'm right), and I counter with another comment. Sometimes this exchange clears the air and produces a compromise, but other times only bruised and battered egos are the result. I notice the two fellows here are enclosed in a circle of stones, and the extra rod is inside. My first instinct would be to bonk them on the head to get their attention, but perhaps the circle's boundary warns this is not my battle to fight.

From the L'Oeil de Lotus comes the card "Choice:"
A road forks, forcing the traveler to decide which way to go. The cross memorial at the "V" makes me think something must be put to rest in order for progress to continue. In pondering my habit of wanting to be "helpful," perhaps this trait is what needs to be buried. I can't protect everyone all the time, and I can't guide them in directions they don't want to go. I imagine people will learn much more from their own mistakes than they will from my meddling. Today I will try to allow them to do so (but I might need some duct tape over my mouth, just in case).

3 comments:

  1. If you have some duct tape to spare I would be so grateful :) I can relate to this characteristic very much. Lately I hear from my kids that they'd rather make their own mistakes than they want me (s)mothering them.
    I've read an interpretation for this card from James Ricklef. He calls it our monkey mind. Everything that s fighting to be heard and to be done;it is more an internal battle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll find some of that designer duct tape for both us, lol. It definitely begins as an inner battle for me - deciding whether to comment or keep my mouth shut. Today I managed to do so, and so far the world has not imploded. :) Did you know Ricklef has a new book out?

      Delete
    2. Perhaps we are not that indispensable as we thought we were
      And yes I did; Chloe is blogging about it. He has some very outstanding idea's

      Delete