I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 18, 2013

Enjoying and Enduring

From the Tarot of Timeless Truth, the Six of Cups:
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when
~ Alan Jackson
It's funny that the older people get, the more they seem to use the phrase "remember when." In my case, my school years and young adult life were filled with struggle and pain, some self-inflicted but a great deal not. Instead of feeling nostalgic about times past, I tend to lean more toward's Bill Wilson's statement: "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it." It can be easy to remember with blinders on, seeing only hurt, shame and self-destructive behavior. Yet there were good times too, if I'm honest with myself. This card reminds me to bring balance to my views of the past and the present. To borrow Charles Dickens' words, my timeline will show both "the spring of hope" as well as the "winter of despair." If I were to do a survey, I imagine everyone else would agree their histories show the same emotional ups and downs.

From the Rune Cards this morning comes "Oak / Ac:"
The limb and cavity shown in this image reminded me of the water oaks we have in abundance here. They often drop limbs and  have sections of heart wood rotted out by fungus or disease. Yet they continue to produce massive amounts of acorns for birds, squirrels and other wildlife as well as provide homes for them. The rune "Ac" is often said to represent strength, but it is more accurate to say it symbolizes endurance. It means not yielding or crumpling no matter what fate throws in the path. As I combine the meaning of these two cards, it's easy to see they remind me that I'm still standing and living life. What kind of attitude I have while I both enjoy and endure it will be up to me.

2 comments:

  1. I notice too there are more "remember when...." And I have to say I don't like it. It seems as if the best days of my life are over. Perhaps there were more special events to remember but I am content now with my quiet daily life. Who knows when I am 80 I will say: remember when I was blogging on my laptop at the table with my daughters in the room and my dog snoring loudly; when I still could do whatever I wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel more content at this stage; my "now" is definitely better than "then." :)

      Delete