I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 15, 2013

We're Off to See the Wizard

From the Bonefire Tarot, the Fool:
Maybe it was the red shoes and the little dog, but I couldn't help but think of the Wizard of Oz when I saw this card this morning. Like the Fool, Dorothy finds herself in a strange place where nothing is as it appears at first glance. On her way to enlightenment (the yellow brick road), she discovers knowledge (scarecrow), love (tin man) and courage (lion) - all part of the bundle the Fool has on her bindle stick. But Dorothy's dog, Toto (from Latin meaning "total" or "whole"), reminds her that all these qualities need to be used together as a whole. They'll help her unmask (unveil) the charlatans, meet the challenges she'll face and find true wisdom.

From the MentorSpirit comes "Understanding:"
This card reminds me that while I might know something, it doesn't mean I understand it. I know electricity is what gives me light and allows me to use my appliances, but it doesn't mean I can suddenly become an electrician and rewire my house. Understanding on the other hand will help me discover the nature of electricity, how it works, how it can be dangerous and how it can be useful. Intelligence does not necessarily equal wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment