I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Sacredness of Solitude

From the Gaian Tarot, the Hermit:
Last night we had a powerful thunderstorm roll through, and during it I realized my older cat was missing.  I searched high and low in all her usual spots, but eventually found her hiding behind the glider on the screened-in back porch.  She'd become too frightened to move, so I scooped her up and brought her inside.  Colbert calls this card "sacred solitude;" unlike my petrified cat, it has nothing to do with being overwhelmed and hiding out.  The reason for this solitude is purposeful - while it might be a time to rest, it is also a time for a personal inventory.  I originally tried this spiritual exercise when I was thirty; I looked at my fears, resentments and relationships of the past to see where I had done harm (to myself and others), and looked for people to whom I owed amends.  I also made an honest attempt to forgive those who had wronged me and release my own shame.  What surprised me most from this exercise was the clarity to see the patterns in my life - those that were beneficial and those that were destructive.  This self examination is not something I can do well while multi-tasking.  Just as the Hermit finds quiet time alone to do his work, so must I.

From the Goddess Oracle comes "Tara:"
I sit in stillness, in focused awareness
breathing in and out
as the ocean that is life
churns and pulses around me
Marashinsky gives this goddess the keyword "centering."  Like the Hermit, Tara reminds me that there are times when I need to find the eye of the hurricane by detaching from what is going on.  My emotions and thoughts are not "me," they are only temporary and will eventually pass.  By staying in the present moment, I will find an inner awareness that can both calm and guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment