I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Searching for Mr. Sandman

From the Llewellyn Tarot, the Four of Swords:
Pure, sweet slumber - what a gift it is.  I've always taken it for granted until now, as I struggle with insomnia on a nightly basis. I've tried every pharmaceutical and herbal remedy available, and I try to be mindful of what I eat and drink during the day. I get regular exercise and avoid anything too stimulating before bedtime - all to no avail. I'm learning quickly that lack of sleep over an extended period of time makes a person completely nutso. It leads me to entertain ideas about "permanent" solutions to the problem, like a hose hooked to the back of an exhaust pipe (not that I would actually choose that answer). It also fertilizes small worries with Miracle-Gro, turning them into full-blown panic attacks. I am quickly beginning to feel like the "woman-tree" in this card.  Come on Sandman, where the hell are you?

From the Beasts of Albion, the "Crane:"
In her companion book, Gray explains the ancient Greeks and Romans saw Crane as a sentry. It was depicted standing on one leg while holding a stone with the other foot. If it fell asleep, it would drop the rock and wake itself up. So now I am wondering, what stone (boulder?) am I hugging so tightly that it is keeping me awake? Sounds like it may be time for some stream-of-consciousness journaling...

2 comments:

  1. insomnia. what a booger. I feel for ya. For the first time in my life I'm sleeping. Sometimes 12 hours! I must have a lifetime ofcatch up sleep to lay hold of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I slept for that long, Richard would put a mirror under my nose to see if I was still breathing! :D

      Delete