I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Nothing But the Truth

This week I'll be using the Nigel Jackson Tarot (aka Medieval Enchantment) published by Llewellyn. Today's draw is Justice:
Justice sits alone on a mountain top, far away from anything that might influence her objectivity. I've often thought being an honest judge would be a hard job; I'm not sure if I could render verdicts without allowing my personal proclivities to influence them. I suppose that is why judges are allowed to recuse themselves if there is a conflict of interest or an inability to remain impartial. But here is Justice, asking me to detach and look at a situation with eyes not influenced by my emotions or attachments. If I do otherwise, that scale might become so imbalanced, I'm liable to take a tumble.

The oracle I'll be using this week is the Sabian Symbols based on the book 360 Degrees of Wisdom by Lynda Hill. I have a set of dice - one with astrology symbols and one with 30 sides - that I roll to come up with the Sabian Symbol. This morning's roll produced "Virgo 28:"
 A bald-headed man in uniform seizes power.
I immediately thought of a skinhead group with this image, but a quote Hill includes from Alice Walker reminds me that sometimes such a confrontation is more subtle: "No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your right to grow." There is no such thing as justice when under the influence of threats; I don't want to be in a relationship or a situation where I feel if I'm honest I'm going to lose something. If I find myself in that position, what I need to be questioning is why I'm associated with such a person rather than why they are asking me to either lie or keep my mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment