I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Repeat or Replace

From the Tarot of Durer, the Nine of Swords:
The three swords over this fellow's head reminds me of the Three of Swords card.  Does he keep a constant reminder of a past pain around, physically or in his head?  He's polishing six other swords like he's preparing for battle.  Now I understand learning from the past so mistakes don't get repeated, but this seems to be more of a paranoid obsession.  Like the pouncing fox carved at the top of the column above his head, he seems sure that impending disaster will fall on his head at any time.  I don't want to ruin the joy in my life by waiting for the other shoe to drop; I need to stay out of the past and future and focus on the present.

From the Philosopher's Stone deck comes the card "Skill:"
Now here's a neat trick - instead of carrying something on his head, this stone person has learned to levitate a rock over it.  In combining this oracle card with the tarot card above, I see the need of letting thoughts and worries become lighter so I don't carry their load around.  I know I can't control what thoughts pop into my head, but I can replace them with something else when they arrive.  It's like a hotel manager turning the way potential guests because there are no rooms available.  But therein lies the solution; I must replace the worrisome thoughts with something else, leaving no room in my head.  A mantra, a gratitude list or even a grocery list will do, as long as I consciously place my focus on something else.  I'll repeat until I replace.

No comments:

Post a Comment