I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 6, 2013

Purity vs. Preconceptions

From the Tarot of Durer, the Star:
Everything is pure for the pure.
The phrase on this card puzzled me at first, but then I thought of the story (from the Zen or Taoist tradition) about two men who visited the same city for the first time.  The first man was a cynical grump, and the second fellow a happy-go-lucky sort.  Later when they described the town to their teacher, the first man spoke of how unfriendly the residents were while the other told of how kind the citizens were.  The tale encourages me to check my expectations and preconceived ideas at the door.  If I go into a situation or group with an open mind and heart, I'm much more likely to have a positive experience.  It I go in with a stinky attitude, the smell of rotten eggs is sure to follow.  The Star speaks of healing and hope; if I'm going to enjoy either of these, I must clean out my head and heart first.

From the Philosopher's Stone deck comes the card "Stop:"
Nothing quite says "stillness" like a big, heavy boulder.  I am good at reacting to situations and can do well being proactive before something even happens, but I'm not very good at waiting.  It is my nature to push, pull and shove to create what I want.  But the peacefulness of the Star above and this huge rock tell me it is time to park my behind, close my mouth, tuck my hands in my pockets, and listen with no agenda or expectations.  There's no telling what I'll learn with a beginner's mind in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment