I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Escaping an Influence

This week I'll be using the Tarot of Durer, created by Giacinto Gaudenzi (based on A. Durer's artwork) and published by Lo Scarabeo.  Today's draw is the Six of Swords:
A person leaves six swords behind as he makes his way to an island by boat.  The cunning fox has now become a coat collar, indicating the purpose of this journey is not a clever, intellectual strategy but an escape.  I'm curious about the sword left balancing on a tree branch instead of being stuck in the ground like the others.  I get the feeling that this may be the one thought or memory the man hasn't really let go of - he's just set it aside for now.  Regardless, it looks as if he'll be leaving behind what has caused him pain, worry and innumerable headaches.  I just hope he doesn't look across the water from the island, see that sword in the tree, and hear it calling out to him.  It reminds me to dig out the whole root, and not leave any pieces that may grow back behind.

The oracle I'll be using this week is the Philosopher's Stone Deck, created by De Es Schwertberger and published by AG Muller.  This morning's draw is "Influence:"
One stone man whispers in the ear of another - will the listener take his words to heart?  I think back to when I was a young woman and remember how easily I was influenced by people who had new, exciting ideas, and being eager to leave behind all the traditional ideas I had grown up with, I embraced them all.  Then in middle age, the charismatic folks didn't lure me but the ones with the spiritual guru vibe did.  Again I embraced whatever I thought might be the ticket to enlightenment.  Now as I get older, I'm not so easily swayed, probably because I take the time to look first at the fruits of a person's life.  Not just the stuff they have, but how they treat the earth and others, and the effects of their influence on others.  It's much easier to do from an objective perspective than when I've already jumped into something with both feet.

4 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat today. I saw the tree sword as literally cutting the cord to the old life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that take on the sword in the tree - almost like a guillotine. :)

      Delete
  2. You, enabler!!! Off to order my own Durer from alida ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched AJ of Quirkeries use this on her blog and immediately went in search of it. It has become one of my firm favorites not only for the lovely artwork but also because it doesn't fit neatly in the RWS box.

      Delete