I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, March 11, 2013

Deserving vs. Discerning

From the Millennium 2000 Tarot, the Devil:
Folchi uses Mozart to illustrate this card, a man who was a musical prodigy, composing music at the age of five.  As he became an adult, Mozart developed a taste for elegant clothes and living an extravagant life.  Because he associated with wealthy, aristocratic Europeans, he felt like he should live like one, and subsequently ended up in dire financial straits.  Wouldn't he have loved a few credit cards?  Like most Americans, he could just buy whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, and worry about paying for it later.  The Devil reminds me that just because I think I "deserve" something doesn't mean I don't need to work for it.

From the Success Cards this morning comes "Be Careful:"
 "Do not waste your time judging others; worry about yourself and be more cautious, more attentive, more aware." ~ Giuseppe Ricci
The rose is beautiful, but it you grab it without thinking, you may wind up with a nasty prick.  This card seems to be a seamless continuation of the message above.  Here is a warning to be discerning before making a judgment call.  I actually have heard people blame the folks at Mastercard and Visa for their financial woes (look at the interest they are charging me!) instead of their own indiscriminate spending habits.  I may judge that I want something, but I first better discern what it's going to cost me in the long run...



No comments:

Post a Comment