I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tool: a device used to carry out a function

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Hanged Man:
Well, if you ever go back into Wooley Swamp,
Well, you better not go at night.
There's things out there in the middle of them woods
That make a strong man die from fright.
~ Charlie Daniels
The vines, water, and dark atmosphere of this image remind me of a swamp.  The body of the person seems sexless, pointing out that it doesn't matter who you are or what you have, there are times when everyone's life becomes bogged down.  This position creates a feeling of being powerless; even the hands of the hanged one appear to be pinned, as if he were a bug in an insect collection.  The flowering vines that droop from the tree tops remind me of the wisteria we have here that grows rampant in wooded and swampy areas.  Though beautiful, it is a non-native that can quickly take over and control an area.  In this place of surrender, with my ego strapped down tight, I may get a glimpse of a new way of perceiving things - if I can stop struggling long enough to open my eyes.

From the OH Cards come the image and word "mallet" and "homosexual:"
A stone mallet or hatchet is used to process an animal skin.  The word "homosexual" threw me in understanding this card though.  It wasn't until I considered the mallet and the word both as tools that I made the connection.  Some words seem to be used more often as labels, to separate a person or group.  These words point out differences, as if saying, "You are different from me, therefore I am better than you."  There are so many of these words: black or white, Democrat or Republican, rich or poor, Christian or non-Christian.  Most rely on external appearances, choices or opinions.  What they don't do is remind me that this person wants to feel joy, love and a sense of belonging just like me; this person feels fear, grief and sadness like me.  This person or group has much more in common with me than these labels would suggest.  Which may be just what the Hanged Man is trying to get across to me today...

No comments:

Post a Comment