I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, February 4, 2013

Those Unconscious Parts

From the Transformational Tarot, the Prince (Knight) of Cups:
"I think you live more and become more familiar with the workings of your own mind -- the darkness in it, the narcissism -- and the desperate attempts the ego makes to cover that up.” ~ Patrick Page
Instead of the usual Knight of Cups who is "in love with love," Ando uses Narcissus - a man in love with himself.  I've been doing a bit of shadow work lately, and it's made me aware of just how self-absorbed I am in many ways.  I've found myself pulling cards (like this one), and thought, "Wow, that message sure applies to ____."  In other words, my ego loves to hear the good stuff, but is quick to project the not-so-good stuff on others.  Yet if I'm ever going to become a whole, fully functioning person, I've got to be willing to acknowledge these parts of myself and become consciously aware of their influence.

From the Celtic Book of the Dead comes the "Island of the Four Fences:"
Maelduin and his men land on the Island of the Four Fences - a land divided into four quadrants of kings, queens, warriors, and maidens.  I automatically thought of the quote by Rumer Godden in A House with Four Rooms:
"There is an Indian proverb or axiom that says that everyone is a house with four rooms, a physical, a mental, an emotional, and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time but, unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."
The challenge for the men was the same as Godden's message - learn to integrate and balance all parts of yourself.  

2 comments:

  1. Great reading. I think you've been reading the Your Readings forum too long lately )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is one part of the forum (among several others) that I never read. :)

      Delete