I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Pause and Listen

From the Transformational Tarot, the Sorceress (High Priestess):
A woman gazes deeply into a crystal ball as cards tumble from her table.  Three animals - a raven, a cat, and a snake - keep her company.  The ways I've learned to tap into what is hidden under layers of ego is through divination, shamanic journeying, and meditation.  Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh wrote that meditation produces three sources of energy: mindfulness (being aware of the moment), concentration (ability to focus), and insight (discerning the hidden, true nature of things).  It is this latter "energy" that the High Priestess represents; she encourages me to pause, be still, and listen.

From the Celtic Book of the Dead comes the "Island of Singing Birds:"
When I worked full-time at a weekday job, getting to "hump day" - Wednesday - gave me hope that I would make it through the rest of the week.  By the time Maelduin and company reached this island, they were at the halfway point in their voyage and feeling worn out.  They came upon this mountainous place and heard songs being sung as if by a choir.  The beauty of the birds' voices buoyed their spirits and gave them the encouragement they needed to push on in their voyage.  The message of this card is to open myself, be receptive, and listen.  I need to hear something of significance that will help me not only make progress, but will inspire and cheer me as well.

7 comments:

  1. Great deck combo, am appreciating all your thoughts this week. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. I struggled to find an oracle that worked well with the Transformational, but I think the CBD fits the bill.

      Delete
  2. I agree, these are great together both artistically and conceptually. Quite like this HP cards and nice reminder about the mindfulness, concentration and insight. I don't meditate per se but do like to try to cultivate all three :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely HP card. I love how the Island of Singing Bird ties in with the raven on the HP's shoulder. They seem very complimentary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Bonkers and 78Mirrors
    The HP is one of my favorites in the Transformational. The collage work done might not have the finesse as later decks, but the images are simple, beautiful and full of meaning for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Island reminds me of a turtle shell. Turtle Island where we all live.

    ReplyDelete