I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Empty Gauge

From the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot, the Four of Cups:
Crossed arms, averted eyes and a sullen expression - here is the body language of emotional hollowness.  Yesterday I was a whirlwind, completely and intensely focused on a creative project.  I worked all day and into the wee hours of the morning, but now I'm finished for the most part.  And as with most exciting adventures, celebrations with friends, and the completion of a project or goal, the end brings an emotional letdown.  I love the rush of being creatively inspired, yet I know there is a balance to all things.  My body, mind and spirit need time to unwind and relax in order to prepare for the next time my muse makes an appearance.

From the Archetype Cards comes "Monk/Nun:"
When I am extremely busy, the first thing to go is my spiritual practice.  Which makes no sense, considering it is what my sanity and serenity depend upon.  Yet it also provides more than just these - it helps me refill those cups that are empty, bringing clarity and solutions as well.  I doubt there will ever be an equal amount of both activity and contemplative stillness in my life, but running on one without the other will lead to a gauge that reads "empty." 


4 comments:

  1. I got so impatient with the Archetype Cards I gave them away to MoonGypsy. Too convoluted of a book, which I mostly disagreed with and too many words on the cards.
    And you make it seem so easy :) Perhaps I should work on patience.

    No...I'm glad they are gone. Also gone this week is another one that only made it 1/2 a week with me. Guess whose mailbox it will be in.
    Ohh the pressure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that bugs me about the Archetype Cards is the way Myss uses the term "shadow" to mean something negative. Since she also uses the word archetype (which is Jung's) I assume she is using his version of shadow, which doesn't mean something negative all the time, just something hidden.
      Oh the pressure is right, lol! Will be a nice challenge. :)

      Delete
  2. hope the project turned out as you wanted it to :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually something for a friend, so I suppose she will have the final say. :D

      Delete