I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, February 25, 2013

Creative Critic

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Ace of Wands:
In the pit of the gut lies a a glowing bluish-white spark - the essence of inspiration.  The figure illustrates the paradox of all the aces; both the masculine and the feminine are shown in the drawing of the physical body parts and also in the roaring and resting lion heads.  The feminine is what is needed to receive and implant the spark that motivates and stirs one's passion.  But once the idea has found root and begins to grow, it needs the masculine to take action and do something with it before it fizzles out.  The ten fingers resemble lit matches waiting to light the fuse that will materialize the inner passion in the outer world.  If I continue to wait, they will eventually burn themselves out.

 From the OH Cards come "sheep" and "resist:"
It took me some time to figure out what these cards had to do with the Ace of Wands above.  But then it dawned on me how I can take the fiery passion of the lion and turn it into a docile flock of sheep.  Self-talk such as, "You have no special talent.  Your gifts are no more creative than what anyone else does," can be the rain that puts out the fire.  If I keep listening to that inner critic, any project I attempt is doomed before I even start.

1 comment: