I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cease Fighting

From the Neuzeit Tarot, the Ten of Swords:
No bloody bodies here... instead I see a structure that reminds me of a scene from a fairground.  Imagine a government that has imprisoned thousands of people for simply holding certain beliefs (religious or political) or because of their ethnicity and traditions.  Then one day the government experiences a dramatic change in their views, and they release all those folks who have been incarcerated.  This is the story I think of when I see this image; the government is actually the committee in my own head who has kept me bound with rigid opinions and ideas.  The truth may set you free, but so can firing my "mental chairmen" who keep me miserable by trying to plaster the past all over the present.  I'm going to the fair and find some new ideas...

The roll of Rory's Story Cubes produced the "gunman and parachute:"
There are situations and people that make me feel like I'm being held at gunpoint; they have ideas they vehemently believe in, and by golly they expect me to have them too.  It's useless to have a discussion with them because they aren't going to budge.  Their goal is to wear me down until I accept their view.  There is a line in the AA textbook that says, "...we cease fighting anything and anyone..."  Yes, there's my parachute.  You can rant until your face turns purple, but I'm outta here...
 

2 comments:

  1. A goodie fairy put a box in my mailbox yesterday. It is lovely and feels good to hold too! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite an interesting metaphor for that image (though it brought to my mind a much more absurd scenario in which incarcerated convicts are forced to work as carnies and shenanigans that could result :P). Firing mental chairman, or at least giving him a demotion, sounds like a good idea :]

    ReplyDelete