I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Uncovering Talents

From the Jolanda Tarot, the King of Pentacles:
Two things immediately strike me about this king, the first is the tree he holds and the second is the cobra that wraps around his body and makes a hood over his head.  The tree is full of fruit, indicating this king's  message is literally to "bear fruit."  The cobra in India is a symbol of protection and wisdom, but more than anything else it represents creative energy - the life force.  In other words, do something with the talents and resources I've been given.  Of course my reaction to such a challenge is that "I don't have any talent."  I think most people have untapped potential, gifts never discovered because we don't think we'll ever be "good enough."  Instead of making resolutions each new year, my friend at Quirkeries makes it a priority to learn something new; the whole year she is involved in learning, practicing skills, etc. that deal with this new area.  I can't think of a better way to uncover hidden talents and interests.

From the Bird Signs deck comes "Raven:"
The creators of this deck give Raven the keyword "Illusion," because his tricks of deception muddle up my perception of reality, creating a fantasy instead of real life.  In adding this meaning with the significance of the tarot card above, I am chastised not to dream away my life, imagining all the things I might one day do.  Now I'm not suggesting anyone can miraculously become a master of anything overnight, but I do know that if I spend time actually learning and practicing skills, I'll at least be on a road based in reality and instead of wasting time in Never-never land.

    

2 comments:

  1. still laughing about those bees messin' with my mind yesterday... I didn't keep this deck long, the borders and back made me feel fluish, but it does have some unique art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could deal with the backs, but I would love to see an edition without those big honkin' borders!

      Delete